Herbert Hirche was one of Germany’s most prominent architects and designers in the 1950s and ‘60s. After completing an apprenticeship as a cabinetmaker, he studied at the Bauhaus in Dessau and in Berlin, where, among others, Kandinsky and Mies van der Rohe were his teachers. After graduating, he worked in van der Rohe’s studio in Berlin. He also collaborated with Egon Eiermann and Hans Scharoun. In 1948, he was appointed Professor of Applied Arts at the Berlin Weissensee School of Art and, later, at the Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design. Alongside his teaching, Hirche always worked as a freelance architect and designer, significantly shaping the development of product design in postwar Germany. He was a member of the German Werkbund, of the Association of German Industrial Designers (VDI) and of the German Design Council (Rat für Formgebung). His work is defined by functionality and by harmonious proportions in the style of the Bauhaus teaching, which naturally blend with their environment.